My photo
Sydney, NSW, Australia
Photographer. Writer. 45yo Indo-Fijian Australian. Glam Feminist. Coconuts.

Friday, April 29, 2011

Royal Wedding...

No. Not that one. This one.  And I was there in a professional capacity.  Hence the fishnet bodysuit... what else do you wear to a place that supplies "an antidote to the mundane"?


As I mentioned in the previous post, I'm Camninja Wingman (my official title. You may call me Ninja.) to my most fantastic friend Meagan Fitton and we were invited to attend Gallery Serpentine's version of the royal wedding. 
Meagan will be featuring the event and interviews and her take on it all on her radio show and my images will feature on the show's blog.
...it wasn't all work... we had time to play... Meagan took this shot of me being all regal-like.


I suppose you would like to know what I'm wearing?
* retro 90s ballgown skirt, encrusted at waistband with diamantes and pearls, by an Australian designer and I have had this for  aloooong time * fishnet bodysuit * cropped tuxedo jacket * 'Shakti' * tiara, which is actually a bejewelled hair clip worn the wrong way!

A most splendid evening! 
And there were scones and petit-fours and champagne. And divine wedding dresses. Sartorial splendours. Witty banter.  English accents and Queens English and lost of elegant swearing.  An opera singer. A burlesque dancer. Rain oh there was plenty of rain. A alternative celebrant too and yes a wedding.

Speaking of weddings...yes... that one... I'm not a big fan of weddings anyway and don't really care about royal weddings nor celebrity weddings but I will concede that it is lovely to have some joy and celebration along with pomp and ceremony on our front pages... rather than the doom and gloom and low economy, high fuel prices, bad politics, good people being hard done by, etc, etc... and regardless of how I feel about the choice she made and how the media portrays this choice...Catherine Middleton is a much needed breath of fresh heir...


I've been rather sickened by the way the media is portraying her. As having hit the jackpot. Yuck. And that 'waity Katie' moniker??? gag.

On a comment on facebook, I said that "she's lovely and seemingly capable but how sad that a princess is all she will ever be..."

What I mean by that is, even though she knows what she's getting in to and she made the choice and by all accounts she is not a wallflower nor doormat and she will pave her own way and carve a place for herself... she has chosen to be bound by rules that dictate how she breathes.

As Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother once said, after turning down Prince Albert's proposal; "...[I'm] afraid never, never again to be free to think, speak and act as I feel I really ought to.."
...but love is the core here and when you're in love, you compromise and you conquer and hopefully that is not done at the expense of your soul, your self. 

Love means never having to say sorry for who you are
...but what really makes me mad is how the media, in this day and age, are portraying this as an achievement on Catherine's part.  As a dream come true for little girls everywhere.  This is driving me batty!  Okay.  Battier.

As I wrote in my [very long almost an essay comment]; "I do think this is an age thing, most women my age feel the way I do. It's like we and those older than us fought the glass ceilings and the hypocrisy and the chauvanism for what?  For little girls to want to grow up to be Princesses? By association?"

This is my idea of a princess.  And this was my Princess Diana.

Anyway.  Enough of that.  Woah this is a long post.  And it's not over.  Pic overload. 

***********************************************************************

Scones and petit-fours and a crown.
To answer the question that always accompanies jam and cream... "how do you pronounce "scone"?
"I asked the maid in dulcet tone / To order me a buttered scone /
The silly girl has been and gone / And ordered me a buttered scone."


Hmm...




The cafe next door.


...ahhh love... found on shoe boxes to UK...


Do you need me to tell you who this is?


Beautiful Meagan, who is also a model for Gallery Serpentine.


Just beautiful...














Also... sorry I haven't visited any blogs recently... eeek... I will as soon as possible! 
THis post is backdated... at time of publishing, it's almost 3:30am!!!


13 comments:

Unknown said...

Amor, you look just so beautiful - it's unusual to see you without colour. That skirt is divine and the fishnet bodysuit adds the perfect amount of rrrooarr to an otherwise very modest outfit. You are SO beautiful! And what a fab night. (Wwhat shoes were you wearing?)

Sarah xxx

Oh, and scone rhymes with gone. xxx

Helga said...

How absolutely stunning you look,darl!!Faaaabulous even!! And all that lovely frockery in general!! Yay!Just the ticket on the first night of Winter to perk a girl up!
You rock,baby!!
xxx

Unknown said...

Awesome...Sure the royal wedding missed the glamour from Australia :)

Anonymous said...

I love that you had a fun celebration for the wedding, dressed up like queens.

I kind of wish I did that...

My idea of a princess was Jasmine from Aladdin.

Anonymous said...

I love that you had a fun celebration for the wedding, dressed up like queens.

I kind of wish I did that...

My idea of a princess was Jasmine from Aladdin.

Annimalhouse said...

Freakin fab event! Wish I was there! You were the belle of the ball, I love your take on formal dress!! The white cropped jacket was the perfect length to show off your tiny fishnetted waist!! Rawk on sister!!

mispapelicos said...

My dear Dusk, thank you so much for your words. I know they come straight from your heart, and that my friend is really grand.
Yu are fantastic anad magic yourself.
Much love.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

bollywoodstylediaries said...

OMG, looks like you guys had more fun that the guests at the royal wedding! You look so regal in the pics!

I agree with you about Catherine. She knows what she is doing and to portray her as having hit the jackpot is a little demeaning. I also hate the fact that all papers are building this into a disney story for all young girls to aspire to!

Mu daughter is obsessed with Star wars and I cannot believe that some of her classmates ( 7 year olds) have already been brainwashed into blue/star wars is for boys!! Not sure who to -- blame dumb media or dumb parents...anyways, sorry for the rant:-)

Princess Di was my idea of princess for the attention she brought to land mines. You can wear a tiara and still kick ass:-)

Tanvi said...

OMG You look FABULOUS!!! Love the skirt and Jacket combo ... I wouldn't have the courage to wear this ... but even if I did wouldn't look half as good as you!

♡ from © tanvii.com
Apothica Giveaway

Ashley said...

Fantastic! you look gorgeous and your photos are stunning, Dusk. Love muchly! x

Oh to Be a Muse said...

hey my dear--i've been away, so sorry! but this was a great post to return to the dusk zone! the fishnet bodysuit/tuxedo jacket combo is stellar! and i enjoyed your commentary on women, princesses and weddings.

<3

Ninjagaiden78 said...

I like how alot of your outfits are sexy, but tasteful. They really scream who you are.
The white jacket is very nice.

windowshopz.com

doradadama said...

You are such a princessa amor. love your outifit, jewelry and especially the way you did your eyes. love it all!