My photo
Sydney, NSW, Australia
Photographer. Writer. 45yo Indo-Fijian Australian. Glam Feminist. Coconuts.

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Copycattiness...

Is it a feline-y? 
baboomtish. thankyerverreemuch.  I'm here all week.


It was recently brought to my attention that I (my images actually) may be being 'copied'.  My signature posing style ie. 
I don't really care about this because in this medium, well... what anyone does is inspirational and that's why we (style bloggers) exist right?  To inspire others.  When people get inspired, they can't help but copy what they were originally inspired by otherwise how can they express what inspired them in the first place?

Did you get that??


It's not a bad thing at all and it certainly doesn't offend me.  I am very flattered when I have inspired someone else enough for them to want to duplicate a look, style, pose or technique.  That's quite a compliment.  I am not going to engage in false modesty.  I do have skills, abilities, knowledge and talent.  What's the point in having such things if you cannot freely share them?
...it's certainly not like if they copy me they will become me ("me" in this case being an example, feel free to substitute "me" with you), there can only ever be one me.   One you.  

And it's not like how I take my images, pose, light them, etc are completely original anyway!  Camera techniques are learned, lighting is instinctive and learned as well and poses are learned too.  And innate and organic.  (As in, sure I naturally know how to pose but I also know the techniques of posing.)  It's how you use these things to express yourself is what counts.  With everything. 
...so copy me all you want... you're not going to be me.

And really... let's get real people... I don't compete on a superficial level.  Unfortunately there are many who do.  Which is where the copycat-tiness comes in.  I simply do not understand females who insist on competing with each other through dress size or who's got the latest (sh)'it' bag or social standing etc. 

Or through one-upmanship.  Wanting to be seen as superior, fuelled by insecurity.  It's a lonely life.

What does offend me is this. When people copy original thoughts, ideas and points and pass them off as their own.  Worse... quote my ideas back to me!  I have a friend... sorry, 'friend'... who does this to me.  I'm not the type to stay quiet about such things, particularly if I have put a lot of research in to accumulating info to form the conjecture. 
I share information and knowledge freely and I always credit source of information so it sh*ts me when I am plagiarised.
I have had an ex assistant copy my entire hard-earned resume and pass it off as her work!  It was rather funny that the person going through the resumes was very very familiar with my work.  My husband.

In the design space I work in, we are always on guard for copycats.  In this too much info at your fingertips and instantly age...it's very hard for designers to make sure they are seen as the Originator and being a designer myself, it hurts when someone says "oh that's just like such-and-such".  No.  Such and such copied me.  Or did they?

Is there truly such a thing as originality anymore?  I believe so.  But I also believe in the zeitgeist... that many people have an original thought at the same time... it's why we're on wavelengths, we all ride the same wave in at different spots on the lip...  

TO BE CONTINUED...

15 comments:

Tanvi said...

Oh! You hit home run with this post .... with me! I have had this issue with SOO many people. So many people copy me ... blatantly copy my style, my writing, my way of living and then come back and lecture me on the same ... or disappear on me and silently continue to copy me ... We the joke is on them ... 'coz they will always be one step behind ... 'coz I will keep evolving and up-ing my game and they will just have to catch up!

We all know YOU! We know YOUR style ... Copycats are nothing but the poor photocopy of excellence. You will ROCK, always, in my eyes!!!

♡ from © tanvii.com

Simin Lakhani said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Simin Lakhani said...

Love your blog, your thoughts,your style and your age! Yes! Well, you're the inspiring contemporary 41 year old eevry girl would wanna look like :)

Simin & Sanjana
www.vivaciousinvogue.blogspot.com

Elle said...

I hate it when people take exactly what you just said and spit it back at you, proudly as if they thought of it themselves. It's extremely frustrating. I've taken outfit inspiration from other bloggers but never ever a carbon copy- I don't shop at big name stores like J.Crew because I just don't have the money., And if I think an outfit reminds me of another person, I'll say so, link back to them and ad a quip about their awesomeness. It irks me inside to see people rip off other's work without so much as a second thought. And Dusk, you truly are an original. Also I love the way you edit your photos to combine them! Very cool. (oh and re your comment on my blog- I totally agree, my family isn't much into style or dressing up unless it's for work or church so I stick out... our definitions of casual are definitely worlds apart haha)

Prutha Raithatha said...

omg..ur soo right in everything u said... i get really pissed off with i see cheap replicas of fashion... its soo not required.. as far as ppl copying me is concerned, i guess im been a bit lucky..hehe..crazy ppl r difficult to copy...hehe... but yes design work is soo important to protect and soo hard to too...

Vix said...

How annoying! They do say imitation is the most sincere form of flattery but to blantently rip somebody off without so much of an acreditation to the original creator is downright rude.
I've had real-life "friends" in the past who've bought the same things as me even down to my signature scent which became a major factor in me ditching the high street once and for all.
We must be in the minority with our opinions however or why would so many women have the need to buy the latest "it bag" or slavishly follow trends?
Keep doing what you're doing, you rock. xxx

Anonymous said...

I was going to say that there is that saying that "imitation is the most sincere form of flattery" but it can definitely be taken way too far.

Fashion is notorious for 'copy cats' or looks 'inpsired' by others.

Oh hey - heaps of my friends were talking and were really horrified about the Four Corners report but being out of the country I didn't get to see it - I'll have a look tonight as well.

Anonymous said...

Haha I know the feeling. Being copied is rather irritating. But you know, the original is the one that matters! You go girl!

Gorgeous Glam said...

some is flattery, some is creepy, some is infuriorating (is that a word?) Funny I had this chick copy my posts a while back pic for pic. Granted most of the editorials are obviously not mine, but I spend a lot of time/energy and am very picky for what is my taste and style. Crazy seeing your exact same posts over a weeks span down to the wording! But some of us are blessed with creativity and there is a light about it. And you've got it my dear! xo -taj

Shruti said...

You come up with the most innovative captions Dusk! Anyway.. in the initial days of my blogging I faced the accusation of having plagiarized contents from someone's old post! I accepted that I took the inspiration and had absolutely no idea it's called 'plagiarizing' in the blogging world.. and I removed it immediately and apologized.. and that is it! It's really annoying to be accused of something you don't fancy doing. also putting myself in your shoes I understand how terribly annoying it is to be copied! but I appreciate how you said it. You are so modest.. and didn't go about putting it up everywhere to show off that people copy you! Whoever has been copying you.. will stop it if they read this post. You are that amazing!

Love how the image depicts it.

citizen rosebud said...

I agree with what you say, both in inspiration part, and in the wrongness of stealing ideas without credit. BONUS: seeing gorgeous you jump about in your photos. I look forward to the next installment...

jardelle said...

Thank you very much...
If you got copied,then means you have a remarkable style so you should be proud...

Anonymous said...

I copy your poses...well kinda. They inspire me. ;)

Christina @ Fashion's Most Wanted said...

Dear Dusk, I'm with you on all of that.

I wish I could take pictures like you. They're brilliant! xx

doradadama said...

I wish I could copy cat you amor.
you have such a vision,you should be in magazine ads.