My photo
Sydney, NSW, Australia
Photographer. Writer. 45yo Indo-Fijian Australian. Glam Feminist. Coconuts.

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Sydney Antique Centre

I assure you... it would be very easy to become an antique yourself in this most marvelous place.  
Sydney Antique Centre...you could spend months exploring!  I am most ashamed to admit that this was my first time there.  I, who thinks she knows her home city like the back of her hand, only to realise there are some things on the back of her hand she has not noticed before.  Dammit.

"Is that the Sydney Antique Centre on the back of my hand up there?  Damn.. Didn't notice that before."


My most marvelous friend, Meagan and I were invited to interview* the curators (because indeed this is a museum... there is so much history here, in every single piece) and take photographs** and play!


*for Meagan's radio show
**for the radio show's web site and this blog

WARNING: THIS IS A VERY IMAGE HEAVY POST!
YOU MAY NEED POPCORN...
I suppose you want to know what I'm wearing?  This fantastic 70s maxi dress and matching scarf belonged to my mother-in-law.  I've inherited a lot of her wonderful clothes. 
Alas my mother is tiny so a lot of her dresses sadly wouldn't fit my big toe, but... I do have her [now vintage] sareesAnd writing that has made me realise I haven't worn a sari since last November!  That's insane!  I don't just wear sarees for weddings, I do wear them in winter...I feel very elegant and sensual, wearing a sari...particularly vintage chiffon sarees...plus the layers keep me warm, and I wear long sleeved tops to match

Anyway, I haven't worn this dress for 10 years!  As per usual my subconscious dressed me... I didn't plan on wearing a vintage treasure that I have only worn once to a vintage treasure trove! 
...amd also wearing vintage boots and a vintage belt and carried a vintage bag.


Sydneysiders and those intending to visit Sydney... you simply must set aside some hours and visit and browse and gawp, gape and sigh...and buy... There are 2 floors of open 'stores' and a licensed cafe (you will need to fuel up at some stage and the menu is deeelish!) and it's all so easy to navigate and get lost in!

Did I really just write "deelish"?

Anyywayy...this place is a MUST-SEE-dney!  It is truly a treasure trove and as I mentioned earlier, a museum of collectibles. 

I went a bit crazy in the House of Hats... not buying, just trying... at around AUD150-350, I wasn't in the mood to sell an organ but did someone say photoshoot?











Theres also lots of vintage art and people standing around pretending to be arty...



...and the vintage clothing in The Vintage Clothing Emporium downstairs, were just...TO.DIE.FOR.
Meagan and I had some problems leaving this place...
The clothing is very well priced if a little on the expensive side, if you're used to op-shop and market bargains.  However the prices here are considerably less than in other exclusive Sydney vintage clothing shops.  You will find rare and one of a kind treasures and it is possible to find some $10 bargains! 





Okay, at time of writing it's way after midnight and I'm exhausted!  I have to get up at 5:30am for a 7am call... I'm teaching a flamenco class for a segment to be broadcast live on a television breakfast show.

I have so many more images to share with you and so many more of Meagan.  I'm going to upload more pics to a facebook album on theSTREETzone (which is the public face of 'theDUSKzone') so if you're not already a liker... please go ahead and like!
 



AND... thank you very much darling Bloggers for your comments on my previous post.  I very much appreciate you sharing your thoughts.... it seems we all ride the same wavelength...

17 comments:

Shruti said...

You look statuesque. I am finding that dress is absolutely gorgeous! You know how much I love floral prints. and the green hat is so.. sex and the city-ish.
Excuse me if I sound repetitive but you are a diva. You ooze every bit of confidence and grace.

Anonymous said...

This place looks like a real treat for a true clothes horse. :)

Frocktasia said...

What a spectacular ensemble you are wearing my dear, you look stunning!
xXx

Tanvi said...

You look marvelous!!! Absolutely stunning! Those hats are so much fun. I am not usually a hat person but these look awesome! :)

♡ from © tanvii.com

kiran sawhney said...

I love the vintage maxi and scarf of your MIL. I really want to see you in a sari.
Those hats are so nice.
And wow..you are teaching a flamenco class? Put that TV show as video and upload please.

mispapelicos said...

I never have enough images og you, my dear Dusk. I could look for hours at your fascinating beauty.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Karishma said...

Holy mother of God. I'd kill to go to a place like that. Your poses are so graceful. :)

Penny Dreadful Vintage said...

Wonderful photos. Would it be ok if I put one on my links round-up this Friday? I tried to with one of your outfits last week but it told me I was a bozo so I deferred ;) x

Hippie Holly said...

Stunning you look!!!! Seems like such a fun little outing! Love all the hats and out of this world goreous vintage headgear you've tried on! So adorable!

Oh to Be a Muse said...

look at you in all your vintage! those hats are so pretty on you (love the big black one) because you truly own the look.

hope you're having an amazing weekend luv! <3

Vix said...

Good god, that place makes me want to jump on a plane and get over there. I've never seen anything like those hats, you look gorgeous in every one of them.
That maxi dress really shows off your amazing bod, you wear vintage beautifully. x

Anonymous said...

the yellow hat...too good. Sounds like a wonderful place.

doradadama said...

Ay, Mamas you look so wondrously beautiful in that maxi dress. cant believe you havent wore it since 10 years ago. I would of stayed forever in that glorious shop, the hats the, the art.you look marvelous in all the hats amor.

Anonymous said...

Nice dress. My mom has a dress from the 60's I want...

I just got a vintage radio. It was from the early 50's. I gave it to my sister. :)

Anonymous said...

70's not 60's.

Prutha Raithatha said...

beautiful shots hunny

Christina @ Fashion's Most Wanted said...

You look totally stunning. This is my favourite look to date. Drop dead gorgeous.

I would have a field day with all those fabulous hats xx