My photo
Sydney, NSW, Australia
Photographer. Writer. 45yo Indo-Fijian Australian. Glam Feminist. Coconuts.

Sunday, August 11, 2013

You have to believe...

...we are magic... nothing can stand in our way... 
You have to believe we are magic... Don't let your aim ever stray... 

I photographed a magic show last night.  Needless to say, I was THRILLED!  Magicians are notoriously prickly about being photographed and picky about WHO photographs them so being asked is [for me] a huge compliment.
...as for what I wore to photograph, you can't see this but the material of my dress is iridescent, shimmery, changes colours... and I have written this before... the way I dress is like a Cloak of Invisibility.  Yes.  Invisibility.
...people are so busy looking at what I'm wearing, they don't actually look at me looking at them... this leaves me free to observe and absorb...


"There IS magic, but you have to be the magician. YOU have to make the magic happen." - Sidney Sheldon.

I am fascinated by magic. Not just the self-belief the above quote is about but also paranormal magic AND Illusion Magic. 
I wanted to be a magician, a childhood dream, a fantasy that I truly wanted to be reality but I guess I thought that would happen by magic... I don't know why I didn't pursue it.  [I also wanted to be Wonder Woman, a photographer and an adult.  Guess which goal  I seem to have achieved...]
I didn't have many role models to aspire to.  The only female magician I knew of was Adelaide Hermann. She was very famous but people today don't know her. It's quite strange that there are so few female magicians and no one can explain why this is.  Females are naturally theatrical and magical so you think it would be a given.

I haven't given up my dream to be a magician... I'm trying to create magic in my own ways... keeping it real... Magic IS real.  Because reality is magic. Particularly if we create it...


2 comments:

Elle said...

Dusk! I've missed you!I hope all is well. You look gorgeous as always and I love your wisdom always.

BriGt said...

oh maaaan !! you do the best selfies ever !! and that one my dear...i love it too :)
Cheers !
ps: need to catch-up soon :)
B.