My photo
Sydney, NSW, Australia
Photographer. Writer. 45yo Indo-Fijian Australian. Glam Feminist. Coconuts.

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Feeling blue...

...which means I was in "happy mode"! Although I wear the spectrum and beyond, I feel I use blue the most as my colour of happiness.
As in... when I'm feeling happy, I feel blue!

"Feeling blue" to describe being sad and/or down is at odds with what the colour blue actually makes you feel.

The term "feeling blue" stems from an old sailing ship custom. If the ship lost the captain or any of the officers during its voyage, she would fly blue flags and have a blue band painted along her hull when returning to home port.

Blue is the colour of oceans, skies, of distance. It helps us to look beyond the immediate, it helps us expand our perceptions. It brings peace, understanding and is the colour of communication, therefore the colour of the throat chakra. Our voice center. How we express ourselves. I use blue to express my happiness.

What about you? What's your 'express happy' colour?





******************************************

wearing:
blue knit strapless tube top * denim/pinstripe 'deconstructed' Raggedy-Anne who-the-hell-knows-what-it-is-but-it's-kinda-fab skirt and I'm about to sell it * Kookai olive/gold sequin scarf * Sachi caramel leather & gold sexbomb on heels * fabulous bangles

*******************************************

13 comments:

T said...

I am sorry, but you are seriously FIERCE. X

Leia said...

FABULOUS outfit!
I never knew about where the expression 'feeling blue' came from so thanks for passing on that little tidbit of knowledge :)

Hmm, when I'm at my happiest I tend to wear white, pastels, or brights, or florals! Anything but black, heehee :)

bollywoodstylediaries said...

I dont have a happy color..when I am happy anything goes!! I love the golden pop of color on the blue outfit and specifically love the first and last pic - u look fabulous:-)

Vintage Obsession said...

If you had only put up the 3 pic where your face is not seen , would have still know :-) it had to be you :-)i would mug you for your clothes if i found you dressed like this :-) those boots are awesome was trying to buy something similar online but the net here is screwed sigh ,from the last couple of days .
P.S i am glad you like the post about you :-)

Tanvi said...

It's hard to say which one is my happy color. But I definitely wear colors opposite to my mood. When I am happy I wear khakhi, grey, navy blue et and when i am sad i wear bright colors to bring my spirits up! Same is with Songs I listen to sad songs when I am happy and happy songs when I am sad. Walking contradiction, I tell! :)

Love your pictures! Blue suits you! I always associate blue with calmness and serenity! :)

Dusk said...

Hello lovelies...

No need to be sorry Lara Croft. :) ...and thank you, that is a fierce compliment.

**********

Leia lovely...I've just seen you latest post outfit!!! Oh that makes me happy by looking at it, at you!

**********

Thank you Sonali hon!

my Sassy VintO...the boots are awesome, the softest leather, so comfortable and made more awesome by the fact that they were originally around Aus$240 and I bought them for Aus$29, last pair, my size, last season's stock, still very very current and definitely classic.

....I loved that feature post. Am still slightly shy about it!

**********

@ Tanvi...hahahaha!! I like contradictions like that! and the colours things makes sense, when you are down it is best to wear brights.
When you're up and happy, you can handle anything so that's almost like you train yourself in the good times to withstand the bad times!!!

Leah said...

When did you post this? I was checking your blog every chance I get and I didn't see this post.

I really love the skirt... so much character. It suits you perfectly. I want to have a Raggedy Anne skirt too. Hahaha!

My express happy color? Hmmmmm... black? Don't laugh! xoxo

Hippie Holly said...

Love every single detail in your outfit. Very very nice :)

calgal said...

U are lovely..love yre pose...

Fashion Bombay said...

I absolutely love these images and you look gorgeous.Adore the scarf.

Dusk said...

Thank you lovelies!

Anonymous said...

if only u'd talk less crap... i mean the pics are great!

Dusk said...

hahahahaha!! Thanks Anonymous. I didn't have to approve this comment but you did pay me a compliment so thank you!

Each to their own yes? Didn't realize I was holding a bandook to your head my desi friend, I mean, you don't have to read!

Just FYI...I am part of a boating family and I am a colour therapist so that's why I write such "crap". People actually pay me for such knowledge.