My photo
Sydney, NSW, Australia
Photographer. Writer. 45yo Indo-Fijian Australian. Glam Feminist. Coconuts.

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

License to Shoot...

So... had to get my drivers license renewed today, which doesn't explain my choice of outfit, I'm not really sure what my motive/inspiration was today.  Certainly not subtle.

I thought I had posed the face rather nicely for my license photo but blech, I look stupid.  Dammit.  You know when people say "on the count of 3"?
They need to clarify if it's "1...2...3!" or "1...2...3...go!"  You know what I'm saying? 
Anyway... I let it go, I was in a rush so didn't bother asking for a reshoot!  I'm just going to have to live with a bad photo, which leads me to this...

To the Anonymous commenter who asked me "how come you look good in all yr[sic] pics?"

Dude.  It's called 'Delete' and pretty much every camera and keyboard has this.  No one ever need see anything less than good pics.  Except when they look at my license...

© theDUSKzone 2010© theDUSKzone 2010
© theDUSKzone 2010© theDUSKzone 2010



I get asked a lot about my photos so I've added some photos and info after the jump.

wearing:
pink gathered ruffle-back 'tux shirt, which I will be selling soon * knickerbockers * purple sweater * purple plaid fedora * pink shades argyle stockings * shoes I've had for centuries * vintage sunnies * double finger studded knuckle ring I bought on Etsy * peace ring * amethyst thumb band * clear resin bangle
*********************************************
Now...to see the behind the scenes pics...

Okay... so that's me in front of my super duper Fuji finepix f70 mounted on my Velbon tripod.  It's pretty advanced with lots of features but I never use Auto, I pre-set everything.  This is the camera I use to take all my pics and this is how I do it.... with 10 second timer and 1, 3 or 12 frame burst.
...will have to ask my husband to capture the 'action shots' though.  I tried but it's hard to work both cameras while you're hoisting yourself up a fence!
On top of my car is my ancient camera... my Pentax Optio S60, which is one of the last point & shoots to come with remote capability, which made that soooo cool.

I use Photoshop Elements 5 to edit my pics and a whole lot of web based image genies like Slide and Picasion, etc.

I used to be a model back in the dark ages so I know how to pose (my angles, how to elongate and maximise and minimise!) and how to 'work' the light.  I also have no shame so that's also why I know how to pose.

28 comments:

T said...

"I also have no shame so that's also why I know how to pose."

I HEART YOU

Leah said...

I normally smile and give my best at the count of 1 and that extends until 3... just to be on the safe side. Hahaha!

You do your shoots so effortlessly... you really know how to work that body and work the light. Always fabulous my friend! xoxo

bollywoodstylediaries said...

I love the first pic..who are you running away from? ur license picture cant be that bad:-)

and in the second pic, you look like a sexy secret agent - "my name is bond, Dusk Bond":-) do u take ur martini shaken or stirred:-)

do want to say thanks for ur travelling tips..there is no excuse for dressing dowdily.. u should also post on what beauty stuff to carry on the plane since its pretty dehydrating for the skin..

and yes, u do have a bee in ur bonnet w.r.t Suzanne:-) all is fair in love, war and fashion!!

Vix said...

I cannot believe you could ever take a poor shot, just look at you, totally and utterly beautiful!
My passport photo is absolutely dire, the customs guys are always in stitches when they check it, only 3 more years left of the ridule and I can trade it in!
Loving the Peace ring and the jazzy Argyle socks and i'd love to see the neighbour's faces when they see you scaling the fence like a slinky sexy cat.
Vix
xxx

Karishma said...

Haha! The first picture really had me grinning :D
I love your socks so so so much!
You have no idea!
And the entire look is fabulous :)

purple-peeptoes.blogspot.com

ellinelle said...

..looove the first picture - soo cool and original ..

Ellinelle

Prutha Raithatha said...

love love love this poct...im gonna go buy me a tripod!!! thanks for sharing darling..this is more useful than u think!! and yes u r the goddess of posses!!

love ur spirit

Leia said...

Why am I not surprised that you used to be a model?? I wish you could give me a crash course in posing! :)

I love the colors you're wearing here. So vibrant!

Rachel said...

Dang woman! You are some beautiful! Love the pops of color in the outfit.. and especially the stockings! Don't worry about the Driver's license pic.. I yet to see a good one! ;)

xx rk

StudioSwag.blogspot.com

Tanvi said...

I know what you mean! I hate those 1-2-3 kinda pictures toooo!!! ... Btw, I always wonder why ppl commnet Anonymously? And it's mostly the ppl who wanna say mean or bitter stuff! I wld totally put my name to everything I had to say ... It's just my pet-peevess but it really gets on my nerves something!!!

Oh and you look absolutely funky in these pictures! :) Love the hot pink always on you! And those socks/legging? are great tooo!!

tommiboy said...

that ruffle back tux is soooo cool!!!!!!!!!! will email you soon re the bodychain harness.

xx, Amanda (Not So Naked)

Amanda said...

Hello!

I just realised that i commented before using tom's account. how embarassing! but yes, your tuxedo shirt is amazing. my goodness, you are so adventurous, i love it!

xx, Amanda (Not So Naked)

Julia, the Thanksgiving Girl said...

Wow, this is such an amazing shirt you're wearing, just wow! Love the "peace" ring too!

What are YOU thankful for? Come share a story and win a little thankful something!

P.S. Thanks a lot for your super insightful comment on my "growing up" post, I really enjoyed reading it, and have to say that I do agree with you fully - growing up is great and I would hate to think there's a point where we stop growing for the better. Please, do stop by my contest (the link above) - I would really love it if you shared your thankful story with me :)

SabinePsynopsis said...

And you DO look good, no GORGEOUS in all your pictures, Dusk. (and who ever looks at a driver's license anyway?!) Love your dashing outfit! Wishing you a lovely weekend.

Vintage Obsession said...

i saw this yesterday as soon as you put it up and the first picture for some reason me me laugh,laugh hard :)and i forgot to leave a comment :)
They must have renewed in no time :) love the hot pink ,you can pull anything of :-)
P.S i have similar leggings and looking at you wearing it made me verry happy :-)

Vintage Obsession said...

Oh and i am glad you did not put the Mississippi after 1 ,like 1 Mississippi 2 Mississippi :-)
reminds me of Ross from FRIENDS when you say that :-)

Oh and to that Anonymous commenter why would anyone put up pics where they don't look good??
Should ask him/her to buy an L tag for the forehead

Suruchi said...

Oooooooooo Dusk...I love the pose in the second pic...super stylish even by your standards...
You make cool come so naturally!
And such an amalgam of bright colours to bring out the ‘cool’ quotient is not everybody’s cup of tea!

N this is the baap of all lines:
Dude. It's called 'Delete' and pretty much every camera and keyboard has this. No one ever need see anything less than good pics

I get to hear so many times from people that how come I say I am not photogenic when in all my face book pictures I look good!
Now I know what to say n such a way that they back off!
But then with you...it’s hardly the case yaar!
Me: okay 200 pics...50 worth uploading!
Dusk: okay 200 pics...5 worth discarding!

P.S. Can I please see that license pic now?:-)

Jasleen Gupta said...

I'm loving the shirt, sell it, sell it now!

Spardha Malik said...

u are fantastic... i mean u cud wear a sack rock the hell out!!! Love all the pink~~!!

Keith said...

Those are some really cool photos. I love your outfit. It's awesome. I bet you never take a bad photo.

Chicago Chic said...

Hello Love! Those socks are amazing, I love this outfit! The bright colours are so vibrant and inspiring. Your body looks amazing in the 2nd photo and your face is GORGEOUS in the 3rd!!! I so agree with you by the way... the "1...2...3" thing is so confusing. Some people snap on 2!!! :)

Happy Monday Gorgeous Lady.

Rachel

Boho Glamour said...

love the studded ring! hate going for dl pics....the worst eh? lovely post! :)

cara mia

BarelyVogue said...

HOT in pink
xxSahi
www.barelyvogue.com

The Sydney Girl said...

love the one of you climbing the fence!!! you're so creative!! hope you're having a wonderful week beauty! x

Hippie Holly said...

Loving all the pink!!! The socks, the gorgeous jacket and the hat are fabulous!!

Oh to Be a Muse said...

i'm going to comment on your other post now, but i just had to comment here saying how much i love that ring. and you look so artistic on that fence in the first photo.

http://cherylclarke.blogspot.com

Angela said...

that ruffle top is just adorable.

Amrit said...

Where do you live in NSW?

We lived in NSW for a few years and loved it. :)))

The fence and lush green grass reminded me of our home.