My photo
Sydney, NSW, Australia
Photographer. Writer. 45yo Indo-Fijian Australian. Glam Feminist. Coconuts.

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Sydney Fashion Festival Pt 1

I could only get to 2 shows this year, it's a new event on the Australian fashion calender, not an insider event... an outsider event actually... the outsider being the customers, the consumers, you know?
The people who actually buy and wear the clothes. gasp. Novel concept! 
Sydney has finally cottoned on...Melbourne has had a consumer fashion festival for a while now. 

Fashion weeks are an exercise in fantasy, not just presentation but also preoccupation and perception... multi-hued clothes in zany, sometimes genius avant-garde styles being shown to grey & minimal dressed fashionistas... size 0 models with no breasts and boy hips are heralded as the epitome of feminine beauty... designers "battle against all odds"...and it's all so serious! Like... fashion will save the world from impending doom!

Hey, don't get me wrong, fashion is serious.  Our personal use of fashion is our public self-expression style. 
BUT... fashion and style are fraternal twins.
I love fashion weeks/parades, they are great fun and back in my modeling days [yes we had clothes back then, curves too], catwalk was my favourite... and hell yeah I still walk down the street like it's my catwalk and I'll strut if I want to. aherm.  Sorry.  Where were we?  Right.

Don't get me wrong but... sometimes fashion is celebrated like it's...going out of fashion... Anyyywayyy...

© theDUSKzone 2010© theDUSKzone 2010

I'm not a fashion reviewer so don't expect a rundown of trends... the first show I went to was about "eclectic, playful and quirky cool. Blends of innocent fun and a balance of masculine with femininity"...and funnily enough, that pretty much sums up my look.
Click this to see the entire album [NB: album will open in new window]
More pics of me (but of course J) after the jump.


© theDUSKzone 2010© theDUSKzone 2010© theDUSKzone 2010

wearing:
vintage turtleneck bodysuit and it's vintage because I have had it for over 20 years!  As I keep saying, there are many benefits to being older, one of them is that eventually things you have owned for a while become officially vintage!! * matt light gold satin utility pants * claret velvet jacket with hot dang shoulders * harness necklace made by the gorgeous Amanda from Not So Naked [contact her for custom orders] *

[About the jacket... bought it a month ago, it was down to AUD$15 from AUD$arm/leg/2 toes... how could I resist??   Yes it's a bit late in the 'season' but do I look like I give a s**t about things like that?  I have kept away from the shoulder detail look, I have to be careful with shoulder detail because I have 'up curve' shoulders and strong shoulder muscles so shoulder detail and even just slight padding, can make my neck disappear, plus I'm wearing a turtleneck so that's why my hair is up, to elongate my neck... it's a tip to keep in mind.]




17 comments:

Vintage Obsession said...

just saw that chain like yesterday at a store !! De Ja Vu :)

The jacket and the gorgeous color is simply aweeeesome :))

I see your still not over those shoes :) Hotnesss

Vibhuti said...

Va va voom..you could have easily walked the ramp at the fashion show woth them!!! :D
I just love the colour of that jacket wosh I could run my fingers and feel it too..hehehe..Aah those rings!!!
I had similar pants but I dunno where they went? Will have to hunt for them now..hehhee
And I am going to act a if I dint notice those shoes...:P
Mwahs n hugs

Barbara von Enger said...

Am drawn to the shot of your face - so dramatic and expressive. Your trousers tickle me fancy. That necklace is very unsual. Nice nail varnish colour, too.Enjoy the fashion week;-)

Leia said...

You look divine... I love the jacket, the necklace, the hair, everything...

And I think that fashion and style are not even necessarily (fraternal) twins. Friends, maybe... I think you can be stylish but *completely* off-trend. This summer, mini skirts and maxi skirts were the "in" lengths, but if you were wearing something in-between you couls still be stylish, but not "fashionable." Personally, I'm more interested in style, not in following the trends!

Leia

Hippie Holly said...

Oh you look all grown up :) Love those pants.

SabinePsynopsis said...

Ever so clever and perceptive you are addressing some very weird facts - all these trade and insider only shows, keeping 'normal' people out. But please, do spend your money with us later!
And yeap, there are some strange people in the fashion world. The few times I've been to an 'event' I bumped into some that made me feel slightly sick. But then I remind myself - they are obviously just very insecure personalities.

And that's the great thing about you - You PLAY it with CONFINDENCE. Go girl!

Nickie Frye said...

How cool that you got to go to a few of the shows! I'm glad that you were (are) a model. You are stunningly gorgeous. Love the outfit AND the comments about fashion. I love fashion too, but it's not the meaning of life or anything. ;)

Have a great day!
xoxo
Nickie

Vinda Sonata said...

thanks for sharing. the designs are pretty, and you look gorgeous.
love your pants. the details and the color are perfect!

bollywoodstylediaries said...

Fashion is so orchestrated:-) the fashion editors already have decided what will be in for fall and what trends to sell us:-) how we are manipulated!!

I love the color of u jacket. Jewel colors are really big this fall and thats one color I am going to load up on..I would have preferred a more tailored trousers with the jacket..

Will keep in mind ur hair style when wearing turtlenecks..

Zabrinah said...

Goodness! I really love it! You need to be on magazines/runways EVERYWHERE.

Best wishes from one blogger to another,

~Zabrinah

Tamanna A. Shaikh said...

I'm so very lazy and occupied when it comes to attending fashion events. We have some really good ones here in Austin too but I;m so bleh!

Anyhow, you look like a fashion ruler here! Love your pants and the multi-tiered chain adds so much power!

Tanvi said...

I echo Leia's thought [and yours] as far as fashion and style are concerned. I like fashion but am not slace to it. I will wear what my heart desires not what some snooty editor of some magazine decides!

Having that settled. Love your hair tied back. And Red lipstick. i never wear it but really wanna try it lately! ... Like how you have paired the jacket with utility pants! Also like the picture showing your eyes beautifully.

And that BIG black ring on your index finger = Love! :)

Freja Wewer said...

hey you..
i really like your blog
I've moved my blog over to a new English website. I really hope that you want to follow mine. The blog is called fashion from head to toe.
Find it here - Www.fashionfromheadtotoe.blogspot.com
Please take a look!!

Xoxo

Fashion Bombay said...

ooooooooohhh!! I love that jacket velvet at it looks super hot on you! Almost everything you wear does :)

daisybabie said...

so not a fan of velvet, but that rich shade of yours i am totally diggin'. style and fashion...interesting duo. style is epic, but it's the fashion trends of each season that add a bit of life and excitement to an already pleasing wardrobe, yeah? :o)

The Sydney Girl said...

that red blazer is awesome! <3

TheBeautyFile said...

Great photos!! I love the top one, it looks like an editorial!!