My photo
Sydney, NSW, Australia
Photographer. Writer. 45yo Indo-Fijian Australian. Glam Feminist. Coconuts.

Monday, February 14, 2011

Love is...

...a work of heart...


Happy Valentine's Day everyone!
...I just need to make clear that I'm not that big on this day as a day, as the day to celebrate love...
love needs to be celebrated everyday...

I'm not big on chocolates and flowers and being wined and dined on Valentines Day.
when I was single, I would receive many bouquets & hampers of roses, one more lavish than the next and it struck me that, actually... this was a competition... between men... the bigger the size of the bouquet, the bigger their... love for you?? 
It's a bit of a show really and it embarassed me.  I would give the flowers away.

I am generalising [of course].  That was a personal observation.
AND there's so much pressure on men to perform!  It's like... this is the day by which all men who love shall be judged and compared.  Utter rubbish.

...and lest I appear a cold-hearted type... I assure you I am very romantic and adore romantic gestures, made by me and for me... I have had rose petals hand strewn around rooms for me and a portrait painted out of words, describing what our love for each other means for one another...

My husband is a big man, an ex Rugby player (a Forward), barefoot skiing champ and snow speed skiier... fear is scared of him...
...he leaves little notes with the lunches he makes for me to take to work... if we're sharing a packet of crisps while watching a movie, he finds the round ones to feed to me, so that they won't hurt my mouth... when we're working on a car together, even though my hands are smaller and can fit in to tight engine spaces easier, he'll do the really dirty (greasy engine oil) work so my hands are spared... sigh...

Love is a work of art and like art, it's all in the sigh of the beholder...

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow...Cool imagination...
Happy Valentines :)

Leia said...

Of course it's *most* important to do little things, all the time, that show how much you love someone (the things your hubby does are SO SWEET!) But I also think it's nice to take time and appreciate the person you love, especially if you haven't made time for it lately. One of my brothers has been really stressed out for the past couple of weeks, but today he came home early from work and proclaimed he was going to cook his girlfriend a four-course meal! He can't even boil an egg and has never expressed an interest in cooking before, but because it was a special day and he realised he had been neglecting his relationship, he wanted to do something nice. Of course that meant me standing on my feet for 2 hours 'helping' him cook... ;)! But in any case, it made me happy that he was making a special effort for the one he loves, despite the fact that he was tired and feeling down - and it was Valentine's Day that made him do so!

Leia

Chatterazzi said...

love what you wrote about you and your husband, so true, it's in those things one feels special and knows what love is, not some sappy consumerist day! :) like your blog! m a follower

Anupriya DG said...

What lovely thoughts dear.....you're right, it's the li'l gestures that matter......not the bigger/better ones! :)

bollywoodstylediaries said...

Agree with every word of this post! beautiful!

Ninjagaiden78 said...

You two are sooo sweet.
I am glad you realize love needs to be celebrated everyday, not just one day.
Happy Valentines Day.

windowshopz.com

Veshoevius said...

I wasn't going to post about Valentines day at all but then I read your post and was so moved by the description of your husbands little acts of love that I had to do a post because I was reminded of all the lovely things my bf does for me.

Belated Happy Valentines day to you! x

Vinda Sonata said...

such great, inspiring, and encouraging post, dusk
this gets me away for a while from the fact that my valentine's day wasn't so great.
thank you !

Barbara von Enger said...

Warmly hope you had a lovely Valentine, my lovely! Red looks divine on you - I can see why it's the colour of Love. xx

the Citizen Rosebud said...

Hello!
I am now laughing so hard at your leave a comment message. Yes I'm ok with that! LOL.

Nice to "meet" you.
thank you for commenting my blog, and now that I've got you on my google and fb radar, I look forward in checking out yours.

xo. -Bella Q
the Citizen Rosebud

Vibhuti said...

Awww such a romantic post Dusk..
And GOD knows a beautiful and loving lady like you deserved that BIG caring, loving hubby!
Absolutely true, every word of your take on Valentine's Day!
And SIGH!!! how I wish there were hand sstrewn rose petals for me too..Maybe some day!!!! :D

Prutha Raithatha said...

AWEEE...it defi is in the little honest gestures that love is expressed... wish u and ur hubby togetherness in love forvever